CURRENT RESEARCH AND PROJECTS
Anthony Downey is an academic, editor, and writer. He is Professor of Visual Culture in the Middle East and North Africa (Birmingham City University) and Associate Director for External Research Funding. In 2019, he received an AHRC Development Award and, in his capacity as Cultural and Commissioning Lead, in 2020 he was the recipient of an additional four-year GCRF Network Plus award (2020-2024). This latter project will develop research and cultural events that support education provision, visual culture, and digital methodologies in Palestine, Jordan, and Lebanon. He is a long-time editor at Third Text (Routledge) and was recently appointed to the editorial board of the Journal of Digital War (Palgrave). In 2022, he will join the editorial board of the Journal of Memory, Mind & Media (Cambridge University Press).
Full list of extended professional affiliations:
- Forthcoming, Member of Editorial Board, Journal of Memory, Mind & Media (Cambridge University Press), 2022.
- Editor, Third Text, appointed 2006.
- Editor, Journal of Digital War, appointed 2019.
- Series Editor, Research/Practice (Sternberg Press/MIT), 2019-present.
- Cultural and Commissioning Lead, GCRF Network Plus Award (2020-2024).
- Co-Investigator, AHRC Development Award (2019-2020).
- Research Associate, the Institute of Human Activities (humanactivities.org), appointed 2016.
- Editor-in-Chief of Ibraaz (ibraaz.org), 2011-2017.
- Series Editor, Visual Culture in the Middle East (Sternberg Press), 2016-present.
- Consultant Editor, Open Arts Journal at the Open University (openartsjournal.org), appointed 2012.
- Trustee, Strange Cargo (an Arts Council funded organization focusing on community-based arts project, strangecargo.org.uk), appointed 2014.
- Trustee, Arts Cabinet (an organization that develops international art and culture programmes in the Middle East and beyond, artscabinet.org), appointed 2015.
- Jacob Koster (Critical Practices in Contemporary Art)
- Nat Muller (Futurism in Contemporary Arab Art)
- Yuu Sachiel (Censorship in Chinese Art)
- Lisa Deml (Spectatorship and Citizen Reporting after the Arab Uprisings)
- Pierre D’Alancaisez (Art, Politics, and Change)
- Khulod Albugami (Installation Art as a Tool for Social Change: A Case Study of Saudi Contemporary Art)
- Rawan Sharaf Khatib (The Role Played by Palestinian Cultural Institution in the Formation and Transformation of Palestinian Visual / Cultural Identity)
- Heba Y. Amin, doctoral fellow in art history at Freie Universität, Berlin (Co-Supervisor)
- Anastasia Shanaah, doctoral fellow, School of Communication and Culture, Aarhus University (Co-supervisor)
For further information, see: http://www.bcu.ac.uk/art/about-us/our-expertise/our-staff/anthony-downey