CURRENT ACADEMIC RESEARCH AND PROJECTS
Anthony Downey is an academic, editor, and writer. He is Professor of Visual Culture in the Middle East and North Africa (Birmingham City University) and is currently affiliated with several research projects exploring the politics of global contemporary art practices; digital media and image production; knowledge production and visual culture; and how cultural practices relate to migration and human rights across the Global South. In 2019, he received a Global Challenges Research Fund award (in his capacity as a Co-Investigator) to develop research on disability education and visual culture in the West Bank and Lebanon.
Anthony has the following professional affiliations:
- Member of the Editorial Board of Third Text (thirdtext.org), appointed 2006.
- Member of the Editorial Board of Digital War (digital-war.org), appointed 2019.
- Co-Investigator, GCRF Disability Under Siege (https://more.bham.ac.uk/disabilityundersiege/), appointed 2019.
- Editor-in-Chief of Ibraaz (ibraaz.org), appointed 2011.
- Series Editor, Research/Practice (Sternberg Press/MIT), 2019-present.
- Associate Director of the Kamel Lazaar Foundation, 2011-present.
- Research Associate, the Institute of Human Activities (humanactivities.org), appointed 2016.
- Series Editor, Visual Culture in the Middle East (Sternberg Press), 2016-present.
- Consultant Editor, Open Arts Journal at the Open University (openartsjournal.org), appointed 2012.
- Trustee, Strange Cargo (an Arts Council funded organization focusing on community-based arts project, strangecargo.org.uk), appointed 2014.
- Trustee, Maryam and Edward Eisler Foundation, appointed 2011.
- Trustee, Arts Cabinet (an organization that develops international art and culture programmes in the Middle East and beyond, artscabinet.org), appointed 2015.
For further information, see: http://www.bcu.ac.uk/art/about-us/our-expertise/our-staff/anthony-downey